Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Day One

While I've been playing with Unity for a few days, tonight was the first night where I seriously sat down with it.

When I started going through the 2dGameplayTutorial several days ago, I figured it'd be a good way for me to learn the interface without jumping into everything.  The 3d tutorial seemed too in depth for a beginner to really understand.  After getting towards the middle, I started wondering more and more about when I'd be learning the scripting side.  I decided to stop doing the tutorial and find something that tells me how to program.

I did end up finding http://unity3d.com/support/documentation/ScriptReference/.  This let me get a basic "Hello World" app up and running.  I also learned the beginnings of my minecraft clone:  how to dynamically create boxes on the screen.  Nothing fancy but it's a start.

I also made the decision to go with JavaScript instead of C#.  While I like C# more, I figured it'd be easier to use with this engine.  We'll see how it pans out over time.

1 comment:

burmeister said...

Hope this goes well. I'll be following. :D