Friday, February 11, 2011

Back and Forth

So today I went back and forth about how much I'm liking this development environment. 

On the one hand, it's nice being able to publish to so many different outputs with so little effort.  On the other hand, I'm not exactly sure how fast this engine is really going to run if I don't use their prefab'd terrain models.  With a game like this one, you have thousands upon thousands of cubes that are drawn.  In my little demo, I tried to get 1000 drawn and it had some issues.

I still have a lot to learn.  Today I learned how to play with the mouse and get keyboard input.  I removed the mouse cursor and added a little reticle on the screen.  You can click on a block to delete it and there's no detection of the type of block, so if you click on the base set of blocks you are going to fall into infinity due to the gravity.  I also created some basic skins to make identifying the blocks a little easier.

At first I tried creating my own First Person Camera, but I got frustrated and found out that they have a prefab that I can use.  After putting that in there and realizing how easy it was to use, I ended up sticking with it.  Now I just need to figure out how to make it so you can view more than 60 degrees on the Y Axis.


Anyway, that's it for tonight.  Probably won't do much over the weekend due to Valentines day but I'll be back on this on Sunday.

No comments: